We work with every child and family impacted by trauma to realize their infinite possibilities.
Julie was seven when she stepped in front of a moving car. She'd been through six placements and a failed adoption. The driver - who stopped - met Julie and learned about her story and is now one of Tennyson's biggest supporters. Julie has since moved on to a safe home with a loving family. Supports like you ensure that kids like Julia end up in safe homes and thrive.
Tennyson Center for Children has served Colorado's most neglected, abused, and traumatized children since 1904. We provide:
• A safe, stable home for kids 5-18 who are facing critical circumstances and need residential care;
• An accredited, therapeutic K-12 school with a 4:1 student-to-staff ratio on our campus; and
• In-home and community services in 10 counties across the state to provide preventative services and therapy to strengthen families with children aged 0 to adulthood.
In 2019, we began leading a bold, first-of-its-kind, statewide effort called Rewiring to provide earlier support to children and families, prevent and divert families from entering child welfare, and to follow the children we interact with into adulthood. This work is gaining momentum rapidly, and is already being modeled and replicated in other states.
In 2020, we expanded our programming in order to help more kids and families in new ways by partnering with Families Together, whose volunteer "Neighbors" offer community support, making home life peaceful for children in foster, adoptive, reunified, kinship, and natural families.
• 95% of Community Based Services children remained in their homes;
• 100% of families who contacted us were connected with resources within 24 hours;
• 71% of residential treatment children exited to permanent family or family-like living arrangements upon discharge;
• 79% of all Tennyson children demonstrated significant positive change in the severity of crises they navigate; and
• 300 foster, adoptive, and reunified families have been matched with volunteer "Neighbors" who provide support.
"No one cared for me the way I was cared for at Tennyson Center for Children at Colorado Christian Home." - former client
"From my seven year old heart, through my 59 year old hands and fingertips to you, thank you." - former client
"We are proud and honored to be co-creators of the #EveryKidForever effort alongside Tennyson and partners. Over the last year they've played a vanguard role in disrupting challenges and rebuilding a system that supports the holistic approach to child well-being, prevention of harm, and restoration when a child is harmed. With courage and humility, Tennyson has modeled what it looks like to stay grounded in a child-first approach. Notably, as a result of putting children at the center and focusing on holistic approaches to their needs and welfare, we experienced a breakdown of silos and forward thinking partnership to work toward impactful, sustainable and highly-collaborative solutions. We appreciate their efforts to invite expertise, perspective, and passion from others and are excited about the work ahead." - Lucy Ana, ZOMALAB