Your Colorado Gives Day gift will clothe, feed, and shelter those in need.
raised by 22 people
WHO WE ARE:
Our regional office in Greeley serves all the residents of Weld County. The office collaborates with agencies, companies, and parishes to provide quality care and needed help including shelter, food and other supportive services to the people of Weld County.
*Donations of $100 or more to Guadalupe Center qualifies for a 25% tax credit through the Colorado Homeless Contribution Tax Credit (HCTC). To learn more visit ccdenver.org/hctc
THE IMPACT OF YOUR GIFT ON COLORADO GIVES DAY:
It was a cold January morning when Connie, a Victims Assistance Coordinator at the Guadalupe Community Center in Greeley, received the call. Domestic violence had shaken Debbie, a mother of five, leaving her family in need of assistance. Connie wasted no time in figuring out next steps. She compiled a Crime Victims Compensation application, a lifeline to aid her in navigating the legal and financial hurdles that loomed ahead. Debbie faced a tough decision – the possibility of relocation for her and her children, or the daunting prospect of rebuilding her life within the walls of her own home. Despite the hardships, she chose to stay, determined to create a haven of safety and stability for her three youngest children.
Gift cards from King Soopers and Walmart were a first step, offering sustenance and nourishment for her children. The emotional weight of this gesture brought Debbie to tears. Soon, Debbie’s family found themselves facing yet another heart-wrenching situation. Her granddaughter in Texas, a vibrant eight-year-old, was battling glioblastoma – an inoperable brain tumor. Not knowing the situation, Connie reached out to check on her and found out that Debbie’s granddaughter’s health had just taken a turn for the worst. “I was in the right place at the right time,” remembers Connie. “I really don’t think she would have reached out for help for a second time.”
Connie wanted to find a way to get the family together, so she got creative and tapped into a private donor emergency fund to provide Debbie with a gas card. This simple gesture enabled the family to travel to Texas and be with Debbie’s granddaughter during her final days. When she returned to Colorado, Debbie insisted on returning the unused Walmart gift cards, expressing a deep belief that someone else in even greater need could benefit from them.
As the months unfolded, new challenges emerged. Once again, Catholic Charities stepped in, this time facilitating Debbie’s application for a Women2Women Scholarship. Their support was her lifeline, ensuring she could access medical care for her husband and daughters, therapy for her children and the means to attend job interviews that held the promise of a better future.
This story, which is both heartwarming and heartbreaking, is a testament to the people who help the Guadalupe Community Center in Greeley support neighbors who need it most. Our team, partners and generous benefactor’s unwavering dedication and compassion ensure that our neighbors don’t walk their difficult journeys alone.
Statistics according to our 21/22 fiscal year:
• 13,500 meals prepared by our Greeley shelter
• 15,000 nights of emergency and extended-stay shelter provided
• Guadalupe Community Center extended-stay programs include 10 beds for men, 5 beds for women and 5 family rooms; with up to an additional 80 beds for men, in our emergency cold weather shelter
• 150 unduplicated men, women and families served in Guadalupe Community Center extended-stay programs and 20 in overflow
• 1,650 households provided with emergency assistance
• $505,000 total emergency assistance provided
• The Guadalupe Community Center and Shelter - Provides emergency and extended-stay shelter, meals and case management services to individuals and families.
• Emergency Assistance - Provides help with rent and utilities to families and individuals on the brink of homelessness because of an eviction or utility shutoffs.
• Victims Assistance - Provides financial assistance and case management to victims of crime.
• Elderly Outreach - Provides compassionate support and services to homebound, low-income and rural seniors to foster safe and independent living.
• Promoting Safe and Stable Families - Helps families provide safe, nurturing, and stable homes and expedites the return of children from foster care.
*Guadalupe Community Center is a ministry of Catholic Charities*
This fundraiser supports
Catholic Charities and Community Services of the Archdiocese of Denver
Organized By Charities Catholic