Ruth Washburn Cooperative Nursery School (RWCNS) is a nonprofit preschool dedicated to educating and nurturing children in an enriching play-based environment and engaging families in a supportive community.
At RWCNS we value:
• The nursery school years as unique and important;
• A "whole child" approach to early childhood education wherein emotional, physical, social, and cognitive needs are equally significant;
• Equitable learning opportunities that are tailored to each child's needs;
• An inclusive school environment that embraces diversity;
• Child-directed learning that happens organically in enriched environments;
• Our role as leaders in early childhood education; and
• Families and their contributions to classrooms and the school community.
We embody these values by:
• Trusting the nursery school model, knowing that developmentally-appropriate play is the best preparation for future schooling;
• Encouraging children to choose and direct their own work by providing engaging materials, open-ended opportunities, outdoor exploration, and interactions with peers;
• Attending to emotional, physical, social, and cognitive needs with equal care and attention;
• Modeling caring interactions that teach children to identify and meet their own needs;
• Hosting professional development and sharing best practices with the early education community;
• Embracing the cooperative community model to provide the richest, most caring environment possible for children and their families; and
• Providing ongoing opportunities for family education and support.
WHY ARE WE CALLED RUTH WASHBURN COOPERATIVE NURSERY SCHOOL?
• Ruth Washburn: Dr. Washburn was an acclaimed child psychologist and the aunt of our school's founder.
• Cooperative: Including families as part of the school benefits everyone.
• Nursery: We honor the child's stage at this moment in time.
• School: Incredible learning takes place every day through play.