Lutheran Campus Ministry in Boulder, Colorado started out in 1945, as a group of students called the 'Luther Club' met weekly in the basement of Trinity Lutheran Church. In the early 1950's Mertice Schmidt became the first Lutheran lay campus worker in Boulder, splitting her time between the University of Denver and the University of Colorado.
Support for the ministry grew so that in 1962 Dwight Ellefson became the first ordained pastor to serve students at the University of Colorado. After 3 years, Pastor Ellefson accepted a parish call and in 1965 Pastor Gordon Ward started his ministry here continuing with the congregational model.
Lutheran Campus Ministry rented space in the United Protestant Center and Chapel where many students came during the week for social events, meals, bible studies, group discussions, midweek chapel devotions and Sunday evening fellowship and worship. Since the United Protestant Center housed a number of other campus ministries ecumenical cooperation in programming flourished during the late 60's and early 70's. This was also a time of political and social upheaval within society, which greatly impacted university communities. Campus Ministry at the University of Colorado was often called upon to play a reconciling role between "warring factions" within the university community.
In the mid 1970's an agreement was made with another group of Lutheran Students on Campus. This group - the Missouri synod Lutheran Church campus ministry would be the only Lutheran student group on campus in Boulder while ELCA Lutheran Church would be the only Lutheran Student group at Colorado State University's campus. From 1978 to 1990 the only Lutheran Campus ministry that existed on Boulder's campus was the Missouri one. During that time questions were raised within the ELCA regarding how well students were being served by the Missouri Synod Lutheran Church. It was decided there was a need to re-establish the ELCA Lutheran Campus Ministry in Boulder, and Pastor Gordon Ward was called back to do the job.
Pastor Ward's work began in August of 1990 gathering twelve freshmen as the core group to help being the new ministry. From 1990 to 1995 the ministry was built into a full time program with full-time clergy staffing and part-time secretarial assistance.
Pastor Laurel Alexander was called to be the campus pastor of Lutheran Campus Ministry after Pastor Gordon left. At this point LCM moved again, this time into a house on "the hill" owned by Grace Lutheran Church. Bible studies, community dinners, and other campus ministry events all took place at the LCM House. The house also served as housing for several LCM students, who took care of the property and served as student leaders for the ministry. At the conclusion of Pastor Laurel's tenure LCM moved out of the house and into Grace.
Pastor Zach Parris was called to Boulder in the summer of 2011. Soon after his tenure began LCM initiated a partnership with St. Aidan's Episcopal Church. In the fall of 2012 LCM and St. Aidan's launched a program called, 'Bread+Belonging.' This weekly meal and program quickly became the centerpiece of the ministry. It was hosted by St. Aidan's and staffed by LCM.
In 2014 LCM-CU was approached by the Lilly Endowment and with their support started a program called, 'El Camino Colorado' in order to help students discern the lives God is calling them to lead. Through mentorship, bible studies, book groups, and international travel students are given structured space to discern big life decisions. 2014 was also the year that the tradition of a fall beer tasting fundraiser was begun!