Welcome to The Center on Colfax, celebrating 45 years of service to the LGBTQ+ community!
Whenever you see an LGBTQ+ couple joyfully holding hands in public or taking their children to the park, think about how far we've come as a community. Until the early 1970s, LGBTQ+ people could be arrested-charged with a crime-simply for dancing or exchanging a kiss.
As Denver's LGBTQ+ community came together to mount successful legal challenges that put an end to discriminatory policing, they realized that they needed to do more than just fight back. They needed to create a place where community members could not only feel safe but thrive. In 1976, this dream became a reality with the incorporation of the Gay Community Center of Colorado-now The Center on Colfax.
As The Center on Colfax marks our 45th anniversary, we have so much to celebrate. Each year, The Center receives more than 50,000 visits by LGBTQ+ individuals who participate in our wide range of programs:
• Rainbow Alley, a safe space for LGBTQ+ youth offering counseling, activities, and support groups to help them overcome obstacles and build a brighter future
• SAGE of the Rockies, which brings older LGBTQ+ adults together to reduce isolation, foster connections, and maintain good health
• The Transgender Program, which offers support groups for transgender and non-binary individuals and connections to trans-affirming healthcare providers
• RANGE Consulting, which provides expert training and assistance to companies, nonprofits, and government agencies to build LGBTQ+-affirming workplaces
• Denver PrideFest, a two-day celebration of Denver's LGBTQ+ community
During COVID, we stayed connected with regular visitors and engaged new participants through a wide range of online support groups and resources. Now that The Center has reopened to the public, we plan to continue offering some programs virtually to reach people who may not be able to visit our space in person.
Reflecting on our history also means improving and expanding our programming so that we can reach everyone in the LGBTQ+ community. Throughout 2021, The Center will focus on putting diversity, equity, and inclusion at the heart of everything we do at The Center.
As we look ahead to a brighter future, we hope you will support this vital work by making a donation on Colorado Gives Day. With your help, we can ensure that our community remains strong, healthy, and united in 2021 and beyond. Thank you for your support of The Center on Colfax!