Elderhaus Adult Day Program started in October of 1980 when two volunteers welcomed two participants whose caregivers very much needed a little time to attend to their own well-being. The goal was to safely engage and supervise older adults living with dementia or other needs by providing compassionate daytime care that would empower families to continue living together at home as long as possible.
Elderhaus has expanded into a program that provides weekday care (Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) for adults (age 18 and over) living with a range of needs. Elderhaus is the only nonprofit organization in Larimer or Weld County that specializes in providing daytime care for adults living with dementia – including Alzheimer's, Lewy-Body dementia, frontotemporal degeneration, and alcohol-related dementia, as well as a range of age-related needs.
Major Historical Highlights:
• In 2005, Elderhaus started our Mindset program, which serves adults living with Down syndrome, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, autism, schizophrenia, brain injuries, and more.
• In 2009, Elderhaus formally became a Program Approved Service Agency (PASA) with Larimer County's Center Board for Disabilities, Foothills Gateway, Inc.
• In 2011, the Veteran's Administration in Cheyenne asked Elderhaus to become a pilot day program to serve Veterans, making Elderhaus the first daytime program approved to serve Veterans in this area.
• Also in 2011, Elderhaus was approved as a specialized unit through the State of Colorado. As a Medicaid Specialized Care Provider, we can serve clients with a higher level of need, and are required to have a Certified Nurse's Assistant (CNA) on staff during all business hours.
• In 2016, Elderhaus moved into our beautiful current location, after spending two years preparing the facility to best meet the needs of the persons entrusted to our care each weekday. Our south Fort Collins locations makes us easily accessible for clients and families throughout northern Colorado. Elderhaus/Mindset appreciates our partnership with the Larimer County Office on Aging and the Weld County Area Agency on Aging, the municipalities of Fort Collins and Loveland, and many other agencies and entities in Colorado.