The Dumb Friends League has been committed to helping animals live better lives since 1910. Throughout Colorado, we provide compassionate care through comprehensive services for pets and horses who are vulnerable to homelessness, suffering, and abuse.
When our organization was founded more than a century ago, it was named after an animal welfare group in London called, “Our Dumb Friends League.” At that time, the term “dumb” was widely used to describe animals because they lack the ability of human speech.
Today, the Dumb Friends League is one of the country’s leading community-based animal welfare organizations, providing a strong and steadfast voice for those who cannot speak for themselves. Our work to support animals and people across our community is guided by:
• Compassion for all animals who come through our doors—whether they are lost, relinquished, or suffering, we will give them the treatment and care they need.
• Compassion for every person who enters our facilities—whether to adopt, to find their lost pet, or because they are unable to care for their pets and trust us to treat them with love and kindness.
• Compassion for people and animals in our community— providing accessible services, investigating animal mistreatment and neglect, offering behavior counseling to pet owners, and delivering humane education to teach respect for animals, people, and the world we share.
In order to fulfill our worthy mission, we rely on:
• Individuals to use our services when they find a lost pet or can no longer care for their own
• Neighbors to report animal abuse and neglect
• Fellow veterinarians in our community who encourage and help facilitate lifelong, accessible veterinary care for all animals
• Animal advocates and supporters to stand beside us as we address animal welfare issues throughout our region
• Community members to consider adoption before choosing to bring a companion animal into their lives
• The generosity of our donors, volunteers, staff, board members, adopters, and friends as they help provide continuity, strength, and compassion for vulnerable animals in our community
Many of the impactful programs started at the Dumb Friends League have been emulated by other shelters and organizations across the country. Here in Colorado, the services we provide help enrich the lives of thousands of animals each and every year. And that’s largely thanks to you. We are so grateful for the community’s trust and for your support of the animals and people we have the honor to serve.