Bear Smart Durango has been active in the greater Durango community since 2003, addressing the root causes of human and bear conflict: namely, the behavior of people. It is our goal to reduce human-bear conflict, making our community safe - for both residents and bears.
We believe that we can reduce human-bear conflict by fostering a better understanding and appreciation of black bears, and by reducing the amount of human foods that attract bears and get them in trouble with people in the first place. We offer real, practical solutions and initiatives designed to:
- Reduce the amount of human foods available to bears
- Educate residents on best practices in preventing human-bear conflict
- Reduce the likelihood of property damage and loss caused by bears
- Allow local policy makers to take informed, meaningful action, and
- Keep both residents and area bears safe from harm
We do this via general public and youth educational outreach, attractant removal and deterrent programs, community engagement and advocating for local policy that is meaningful.