Helping children achieve academic and personal excellence through individualized education.
Founded in 1976, Rivendell School is the only independent school in Northern Colorado. Thanks to the vision and hard work of our state-licensed teachers and volunteers, we have proudly helped thousands of children grow into well-educated, imaginative, caring, and responsible citizens.
At Rivendell, we believe that:
- Each child is unique.
- Academics are a function of ability, not age.
- As children work and learn different academic skills, these concepts are to be mastered and internalized.
- Concepts need to be mastered so that knowledge and skills can be applied to deeper learning
- In order for children to become lifelong problem solvers, each child must experience the process of formulating answers to academic and social problems and test these in a safe environment. Through this process they learn how to make better choices, and like the proverb, learn "If at first you don't succeed; try, try, again."
- Learning is a cooperative effort of the child, teacher and parent. Throughout these interactions respect of the individual is modeled and learned.
"We definitely got a great return on our investment by moving our son to Rivendell in the 4th grade. In two short years, he came out of his shell and excelled in math to the point that he is now on an advanced track at another academically rigorous school, where he is thriving. Rivendell's secret sauce is its mastery-based math program, designed and run by a talented team of teachers who are content experts. Students need to fully master the material before moving on to the next math topic, and not merely get a passing grade without fully understanding a concept. Yet, Rivendell has so much more to offer than the perfect math program, which is so rare in American schools. We're so pleased we are able to be a part of the Rivendell community." - Ewa Limanska-Moran (Parent and former Board Member)