Opera Colorado

Opera Colorado enriches the quality of life through the presentation of opera performances that inspire our audience, and serves the community through education and cultural programs.

Organizational Overview

Opera Colorado
695 S. Colorado Blvd.
Denver, CO 80246
Opera Colorado enriches the quality of life through the presentation of opera performances that inspire our audiences, and serves the community through education and cultural programs.

Impact Statement

The goal of Opera Colorado for the 2014-2015 performance season is to continue fulfilling our mission statement. This will be accomplished by presenting four mainstage performances of Puccini's "Madama Butterfly" and Mozart's "The Magic Flute"; and continuing to inspire thousands of school age youth throughout Colorado by offering essential education and outreach programs during the season.

Needs Statement

While ticket sales and other earned income cover approximately 40% of our total annual operating budget, most people do not realize that gifts from individuals comprise our single largest source of income. We rely on the support of generous donors to provide the funds we need to bring opera programs to our schools, offer free or reduced cost programs to children who otherwise could not participate, and to sustain and nourish one of Denver's finest cultural institutions.

Executive Director Statement

It is a pleasure to present four exciting operas over the next two years that represent the full spectrum of human emotion. From hearts that burst with joy to those destroyed by shame and grief, Madama Butterfly, The Magic Flute, Aida and The Scarlet Letter contain the perfect marriage of remarkable music and gripping human drama.

Likewise, they represent 225 years of opera history. From the world premiere of Mozart's The Magic Flute in 1791 to the world premiere Lori Laitman's The Scarlet Letter in 2016, the repertoire I have selected spans the full gamut of styles, revering the time honored traditions of the operatic art form while expanding its boundaries with new work.

Whereas opera brings together many great art forms - music, drama, scenic art and dance - it is also the most expensive to produce. Over 200 individuals can be employed for one opera production, from singers, directors, conductors and orchestral musicians, to stage hands, costume and wig personnel and supertitle operator. Each of these individuals play an important role in making your opera going experience memorable.

I hope that you will take the opportunity TODAY to join our family of season ticket holders and contributors. While growing our audience helps ensure that each of our performances have a full house, the income derived from ticket sales only covers approximately 40% of the cost of an opera production, leaving the remaining 60% to be attained through contributions from generous donors. That's why your tax-deductible gift is so important to maintaining high artistic standards and resilient finances.

Join us today and experience the passion and excitement of Opera Colorado.

Greg Carpenter
General Director

Background Statement

Opera Colorado was founded in 1981 by Nathaniel Merrill, a distinguished name in the world of opera, with the goal of establishing a grand opera company in Denver. Before coming to Denver, Merrill spent 28 years as the resident stage director at The Metropolitan Opera in New York. Opera Colorado has grown consistently over many years of exceptional leadership and vision, presenting a mix of traditional and contemporary staging of standard repertoire while engaging young talent and attracting international superstars. In 2005, the Opera relocated its performances to the magnificent Ellie Caulkins Opera House in Downtown Denver. Gregory Carpenter was named General Director in 2007 and the company continues to grow its national reputation and strategically carry on the tradition of presenting world-class opera performances in Colorado.

Board Chair/President Statement

I come to Opera Colorado to see the opera, I volunteer at Opera Colorado because I want to help the opera community, and I donate to Opera Colorado because I want opera to thrive in this community. I want Opera Colorado to be everybody's Met." - Terry Frazier (Season Ticket Holder, Donor and Volunteer)

What Teachers are Saying...
"The resources are totally usable right away."
"Completely interactive!"
"This is the way to have a workshop!"
Key aspects of this profile information have been reviewed by Community First Foundation staff. Each organization is exclusively responsible for the content that appears on the profile page. Community First Foundation offers general guidance as to the purpose of each area but does not require or encourage charities to include anything in particular in each section.

Fundraising For This Nonprofit

Create a Fundraiser Learn About Fundraising