To provide emergency assistance to individuals and families in Bent County, Colorado and the surrounding area while providing opportunities to develop self-sufficiency.
Founded in January 2004 to provide utility assistance for families facing disconnection, we quickly recognized the "face" of poverty. Lower income families face difficult choices each month to meet their basic life needs. Therefore, we chose to provide a variety of assistance for food, car repairs, gasoline for doctor appointments, job search, prescriptions, rent, clothing, and other emergencies. Thinking "outside of the box", we began to investigate how we could help communicate the needs of our community to a broader audience. We became a 501(c)3 organization in March of 2006 so that we could assist more people. Bent County Commissioners asked us to take over the administration of the County's USDA program in 2013, We collaborate with all organizations to facilitate assistance for families in need. Our food programs changed to a drive through or walk up distribution because of the COVID19 pandemic. We remain a 100% volunteer organization.
* "I haven't been able to work since February 2021. I don't know how we would have been able to survive without your help! Las Animas Helping Hands has helped us so much! We are very grateful! (Client coming to receive food from our Food Pantry this week. September 2021).
• "Thank you for all of the help that you have given to us. I don't know what we would have done with out you. If there's anything we can do, please let us know. Again, thank you." (Cancer patient's family)
• "When you are 80 and 82 you must remember to say Thank you. Bet you thought we forgot to say, Thank You -For: the trips to the doctors, Saint Mary's Hospital too-and the trip to bring us home again-delivery of our food distribution, the hours spent on a hard chair helping us with our budget, and driving thru a rainstorm-just so we could get to court in Pueblo. Thanks for the dinners our-times like these are few and so appreciated. It was great food. Thanks again -you truly are heaven sent…"
• "Thank you for your help with preparing my taxes. Thank you also for all you do to help others. God Bless!"
• "Thank you for your help in our time of need. May God Bless Your heart…"
• "Thank you for helping me to go to Aurora, CO. (Doctor's appointment.) It is a big burden off my shoulders. Thanks again and May God bless you for caring…"
• "I just want to "Thank You" for all your help and support. It means a lot to my family and myself!..."
• "Thank you so much for everything that you have done for my family and I. The Lord will reward you so much because you not only do for me but for others too and I thank you for them too…Thank you for doing things for complete strangers too…"
• "A short little note to say thank you for all your help & prayers. You'll never know how much I appreciate you both. May God Bless you and hold you & Your Family close to His Heart Forever!..."
• "I just wanted to thank you for helping my mother and myself with our tax returns. It was a true blessing, as both of us really did not have the money to pay to have it done at the time. I really admire both of you, there are very few people who reach out to help people in need."
• "Thank you so much for the help you have given us both -We couldn't have done it without you! You're greatly Appreciated!" (Family who was several years behind in filing their income taxes.)
• "Your help when I needed assistance was very valuable. I will send donations whenever I can. Please accept this small amount." (We were so touched…she included 3 stamps!")
• Thank you so much for the help while I was still getting on my feet! I'm very thankful!
All donations are tax deductible as we are a 501(c)3 organization.