Susan G. Komen Colorado

Komen Colorado promises to save lives by meeting the most critical needs in our communities and investing in breakthrough research to prevent and cure breast cancer.

More Information

Fundraising Pages

Want to do more for your favorite charity? We’ve made it easy for you to raise money by creating a personalized fundraising page.

Start a fundraiser Current fundraisers for this charity (0)

General Information

General
Official Name
The Denver Metropolitan Affiliate of the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation​​​​​​​
DBA/Trade Name(s)
Susan G. Komen Colorado
Former Name(s)
(2013)Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation Denver Metropolitan Affiliate
Acronym
-
Date Established
1992
Offers Additional Colorado State Tax Credit
None
Tax ID
84-1199858
Addresses
Headquarters Address
Susan G Komen Colorado
50 South Steele St. Ste. 100
Denver, CO 80209
Colorado Location
Susan G Komen Colorado
50 South Steele St. Ste. 100
Denver, CO 80209
Mailing Address
N/A
Phone/Fax
Main Phone Number
303-744-2088
Fax Number
N/A
Other Phone Number
N/A
Web/Email
Email
development@komencolorado.org
Website
www.komencolorado.org
Social Media Links
     

Mission Statement

Susan G. Komen® promises to save lives by meeting the most critical needs in our communities and investing in breakthrough research to prevent and cure breast cancer. 75% of your donation stays in Colorado and education and the remaining 25% supports the national Komen Grants Program.

Organization History

Susan G. Komen Colorado was founded in 1992 to carry out our promise - to save lives by meeting the most critical needs in our communities and investing in breakthrough research to prevent and cure breast cancer. Komen Colorado continually strives to meet this mission through education, grant making, advocacy and fundraising.

Komen Colorado serves 22 counties including Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Broomfield, Clear Creek, Denver, Douglas, Eagle, Garfield, Gilpin, Jefferson, Larimer, Logan, Morgan, Park, Phillips, Pitkin, Sedgwick, Summit, Washington, Weld, and Yuma. Seventy-five percent of net proceeds raised by Komen Colorado stay in this 22-county service area to help save local lives. Twenty-five percent of net proceeds support our global breast cancer research efforts.

Testimonials

Money was tight for Paula. Her family was rebuilding after a recent flood, but they were getting by. Then the unimaginable happened. Paula was diagnosed with stage IIB breast cancer, in late 2016. She needed surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation. "My insurance unfortunately does not cover office visits…That's easily $300 per visit which I cannot afford." A Komen Colorado-funded treatment grant with The Poudre Valley Health System Foundation enabled Paula to get the critical treatment she needed to fight breast cancer. "I am really thankful for all the support and peace of mind that Komen provides to people in such a stressful time of their lives." Paula completed her treatments this summer.

Single mom, Rochelle, was diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer. She was 30 years old. Rochelle had health insurance, but her plan did not cover all of the care she would need to fight the disease. Getting enrolled in Medicaid would take some time - time Rochelle didn't have. "They were very urgent about getting it taken care of." That's when Komen Colorado stepped in. Rochelle was able to receive treatment right away under one of our treatment grants. "[The Komen grant] allowed me to focus on getting better and not worry about having to pay for all of my treatments out-of-pocket and struggle even more." While doctors warn her cancer could return, so far Michelle's scans are clean, and she is focused on her daughter and her work.

When Melissa was 43 years old, she wanted to get tested to see if she had a BRCA 1/2 mutation. She had been through two bouts of breast cancer, and several of her immediate family members had battled the disease, too. Melissa says Komen® Colorado directed her to a local genetics study for which she was eligible. Test results showed Melissa was positive for the BRCA 2 mutation. "I was able to provide my results to my cousins and my sisters on that side of my family." Many of those family members were tested, including Melissa's sister. "She says Komen saved her life." Melissa continues to fundraise and give back to Komen Colorado. She believes that one day there will be a cure for breast cancer. "I just refuse to believe that when people put that much energy and passion and spirit into a cause that it won't come true. Of course it will. I believe it completely will."

Key aspects of this profile information have been reviewed by Community First Foundation staff. Each organization is exclusively responsible for the content that appears on the profile page. Community First Foundation offers general guidance as to the purpose of each area but does not require or encourage charities to include anything in particular in each section.