Search for a Nonprofit or Fundraising Page
- The mission of Kim Robards Dance (KRD) is to be a driving force that enriches lives through exceptional modern dance creation, performance and education.
Kim Robards Dance is celebrating our 27th Season.
KRD's primary location is in the fast growing Aurora Cultural Arts District where the Company is developing a performance venue, dance studios, and administrative offices. This is the home to the professional touring company as well as The Academy of KRD. KRD's space is available to other community cultural organizations for rentals for classes, workshops, performances, and community events.
Ms. Robards has choreographed most recently a relevant and powerful new work, "Aurora", which in its November 2013 premiere riveted and touched audiences.
KRD opened its 2013-14 season at its new home in Aurora on October 19th with "Ignite the Light". There was standing room only!
Most recently KRD collaborated with Fiesta Colorado at Lakewood Cultural Center for a wonderfully received "Bare Feet and Spanish Soles: A Celebration of Life".
Upcoming is "Dance Gallery" to be KRD's debut at Broomfield Auditorium on November 22 and 23. tickets are available at the Broomfield Auditorium at 720-887-2371. This evening will feature unique works such as "Gallery" and "Night at the Museum" which is based on two dozen visual art pieces from throughout the ages.
KRD is also excited to announce the upcoming opening of its satellite location in Denver at the Evans Stations Lofts. Watch for more information.
The means by which we accomplish our mission and the purpose of KRD is to implement the following programs: Mainstage Venue Performances by the professional company; Educational Outreach Performances and Workshops for disenfranchised populations; Statewide, National and International Touring Residencies; Repertory Development and Choreographic Commissions; The KRD School for children and adults; and the continued development of KRD's new cultural center, The KRD Theater (performance venue and studio spaces).
Top 3-5 accomplishments last yr. and goals this year
1. One of only two professional dance companies from the United States to be invited to perform at the "booking DANCE FESTIVAL beijing - coinciding with the Olympics" in Beijing, China in August 2008.
2. One of only thirteen US dance companies selected to perform on the "InBound Festival" Series at Joyce SoHo in New York in February 2008.
3. Received an outstanding review by dance critic Jennifer Dunning in The New York Times, February 2008.
4. Invited to perform at The Wells Fargo Theatre at Mayor Hickenlooper's opening plenary session for the National Performing Arts Conference hosted in Denver in June 2008
5. Provided in our 2007-08 Season, programming statewide in a five county metro-area of Denver and in rural Colorado; nationally in North Carolina, Vermont, and Arizona; and internationally China
1. Secure sponsors for creation of two new works by critically acclaimed Artistic DirectorChoreographer Kim Robards
2. Present "On Your Feet" series of six themed events (which include performances, workshops, Q&A, audience dialogues and participatory activities, and a dance film) throughout the 2008-09 season sponsored in part by The Colorado Council on the Arts
3. Implement new fitness programming through dance via "Kym Gym for Kids" educational outreach program in Arapahoe, Denver, Douglas and Jefferson Counties and will maintain current outreach programs for special populations including incarcerated teens, youth with multiple physical disabilities, and women recovering from breast cancer
4. Will continue to develop our touring programs through a) Internationally in Scotland and China in 2009; b) Nationally through performances, master classes, residencies and choreographic commissions in North Carolina, New York, Arizona, South Carolina, and California; c) Statewide in Colorado through a residency sponsored in part by The Colorado Council on the Arts
5. Will develop The KRD School to include programs for children ages 9-18 and an adult program for beginners through professionals
1. Increase and diversify our funding sources to compliment and support the international level of programming into which KRD's 2008 season catapulted our company
2. Grow our administrative staff to meet the growing artistic accomplishments of our company through securing a DevelopmentExecutive Director and CompanyBusiness Manager
3. Develop a larger and more diversified Board of Directors wishing to assist in expanding KRD's financial and administrative capacities
4. Secure full season contracts and health insurance for an international roster of professional company members
5. Secure additional volunteers for special projects, fundraising and on-going administrative projects
Kim Robards Dance (KRD) was originally founded in 1987 as Colorado Repertory Dance Company (CRDC). In 1997 the organization changed the corporate name to better reflect the driving force behind the artistry and educational goals of the company, and to focus on presenting the choreographic works of Artistic Director and founder Kim Robards. Having award winning artistic work as a base, and having inextricably fused educational programming into our seasons since our inception, the Company has developed into one of the nation's top modern dance companies with a growing national and international reputation for excellence. Having received both the Mayor's and the Governor's Award for Excellence in the Arts, among other distinguished honors, KRD represents the best of its genre and speaks to the artistic quality which has grown out of Colorado's cultural milieu. KRD is a multi-generational company with professional dancers ranging in ages which span three decades. As we enter our 22nd Season, KRD is proud to have provided modern dance experiences to as many as 30,000 individuals each year from variegated backgrounds and spanning many generations.
Executive Director Statement
As we embark on our 25th season and leap forward with our development as an international touring company, I am overjoyed by the multitude of amazing experiences I have had throughout these two decades which have been enriched by an abundance of talented dancers from throughout Colorado, the US and international artists as well. Undertaking the lifetime commitment through the daily task of creating work, training as dancers to meet high physical standards, maintaining a School to train youngsters and adults, and administering the paperwork, can be a formidable challenge. It also comes with the greatest rewards of realizing a new piece of choreography, attaining a higher level of physical ability, seeing the joy and curiosity on the faces of children to seniors alike who experience a workshop or performance, securing a new supporter, celebrating the successes of our dance peers, and personally experiencing the exaltation of spirit through performance of movement. It is with deep gratitude to the multitudes of individuals and funders who have stepped forward in both times of prosperity and times of need, who have continued to walk the path with us along the way, and who will take the leaps of faith with us into our future, that we embark on this wonderful journey of creating and sharing the American-born art form of modern dance.
Board Chair/President Statement
Kim Robards Dance is a unique organization among modern dance companies. The choreographic creations of Artistic Director Kim Robards break new boundaries in physicality and inspirational works of art, with dancers and staff members who serve with a lifetime commitment to creating and educating about the art form. KRD for more than 20 years has: forged new pathways and pushed boundaries; created innovative programming; participated in international cultural exchanges with artists from or through residencies in eight countries; provided programming in every corner of Colorado and in 15 other states; weathered economic storms and changing giving cycles; developed new funding bases; taken responsible risks for growth; paused to renew when needed; strived for greater visions; set an artistic pace; and all the while done so with a sense of integrity. KRD is a rewarding organization to serve with and our board seeks to expand our human and financial resources to fully meet the artistic potential of this "local international company".
Former Governor Roy Romer stated during the Governor's Awards for Excellence in the Arts presentation to KRD, "Kim Robards Dance has been on the leading edge of dance innovation and collaboration, not only presenting high quality performances throughout the state, nation and world, but also conducting numerous school dance seminars dedicated to inspiring Colorado's youth to greater levels of individuality and competence."
"CONGRATULATIONS YOU GUYS!!!! I cannot tell you how happy I am that you did not get criticized for beauty and joy of movement from a more "traditional" view. GOOD for you for staying true to who and what you are. Your work is beautiful for a reason. Because it is real, honest and unapologetic. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!"
Peter G. Kalivas, The PGK Project (A Contemporary Dance Company)
Fundraising For This NonprofitCreate a Fundraiser
Raise The Barreby LaRana Skalicky
Help Kim Robards Dance build our beautiful new 160 seat performance space and new studios in the heart of The Aurora Cultural Arts District. This will be the permanent home for the award winning professional company and The Academy of KRD.
- 2% Funded
- 7 Days to Go
Learn About Fundraising