Hillside School is a leader in the development of innovative teaching strategies for students with learning differences and serves as a community resource about education and the well-being of children.
Hillside School provides specialized instruction enabling students with learning differences, such as dyslexia, to reach their academic potential and become capable and confident learners.
* All children can learn
* The joy of learning is every child's right
* Learning happens best when children are engaged in a supportive environment free of judgment
* Educating children must include care for their affective needs
* Ongoing evaluation of the effectiveness of the academic program is essential
* Collaboration with parents and professionals promotes student success
* Serving as a resource about learning and the well-being of children supports the whole community
Hillside School opened in 2005 in response to a community-wide need for a specialized education program for students with dyslexia.
The half-day program focuses on reading, writing and math for three hours a day, five days a week following the local school districts calendar.
Class size is limited to four students per teacher to maximize the learning experience and academic growth possible.
Each area of reading, writing and math involve the most current and effective teaching methods available.
Progress is carefully monitored throughout the year with students transitioning full time into their school of choice within one to three years.
"Hillside saved my daughter's life, and therefore it saved my family's life as well."
- Sarah Elizabeth Schantz, Hillside parent
"The small environment offers a unique opportunity to the child to get the needed practice to learn reading, writing, and math. It saved my son's life, literally, because he was starting to lose his self worth due to his learning challenges. He is much happier now." -Hillside parent
"The small class size was helpful for lowering my son's shame about dyslexia." - Amy R., Hillside parent
"My son has gained confidence in himself as a learner and knows that he is not alone in his learning style."
- Bonnie Madtson, Hillside parent
"Finding Hillside as a fit for my daughter was like a giant exhale - relief." - Vanessa, Hillside parent