We engage and inspire visitors by preserving and sharing Golden's history and facilitating the connection of people to the history of Golden, Colorado.
The organization was formed in 1998 to provide a viable management entity to operate the Astor House Museum and the Clear Creek History Park. The City of Golden owns these facilities but lacked the expertise and capacity to operate history museums. The Friends of the Astor House and Clear Creek History Park added a third museum to the management contract with the City of Golden in 2009, formerly known as the Pioneer Museum. The third facility is now called the Golden History Center. The name of the nonprofit was changed at that time to "Golden History Museums." In April, 2010, the nonprofit Golden History Museums completed a transition agreement with the City of Golden to turn over management and operation of the three museums to the City as of July 1, 2010. The City assumed the name and trade mark of "Golden History Museums" and the non-profit organization became "Friends of Golden History Museums." In 2017 the City changed the name of the facilities to Golden History Museum and Park.
"Many thanks to the Golden History Museum for providing the online cache of historic Transcripts, and to the Golden Transcript for documenting our history since 1866!"... from a recent "Goldentoday.com" daily newsletter.