EarthLinks cultivates transformation and self-worth with people experiencing homelessness and poverty. By creating opportunities through Earth-centered programs, individuals step out of isolation and into community - restoring each other and the planet.
EarthLinks was founded as a nonprofit organization in 1996 through the vision, initiative, and dedication of two Catholic religious women, Bette Ann Jaster, OP, and Cathy Mueller, SL. Over their many years of service in the community, the two women noted profound fragmentation and deep hunger for connection and belonging. This cry came from diverse people in many different circumstances. The founders knew it was possible to create experiences that foster relationships, build community, encourage healing, and deepen our understanding of our relatedness with all life. These are the beliefs that guide EarthLinks today.
In 2014, EarthLinks' Board of Directors revised our mission statement to stress the importance of community in creating a space for all to contribute to the betterment of one another and of Earth: EarthLinks cultivates transformation and self-worth with people experiencing homelessness and poverty. By creating opportunities through Earth-centered programs, individuals step out of isolation and into community - restoring each other and the planet.
The heart of EarthLinks remains a supportive community focused on Earth-care, education, empowerment, and new healing in lives often in disarray.
People come to EarthLinks with ever greater needs for food, clothing, transportation, support and direction due to the economy and their poverty. Among their comments are:
- "If it wasn't for you, I would not be here now"
- "I learned a lot at EarthLinks. They helped me get my housing"
- "I have always been different and the community (at EarthLinks) has exhibited a sense of acceptance."
-"Thank you for making me feel good about myself."
- [The EarthLinks Community provides] "Encouragement to continue on a positive path."
- "Coming here helped me out a lot to focus on what I needed to do."
- "[EarthLinks] is helping [me] to become a better person."
- I have stability by coming weekly. I made new healthy friendships here."
- "[EarthLinks] helped me with a lot of support from all the people. [It] was my stepping stone."
- "I feel a vital part of a worthwhile cause."