To be a recognized leader in progressive, whole-child, customized education.
Bixby School serves preschool through elementary level children and their families in a small community setting that compassionately empowers children with critical thinking skills, self-confidence, independence and a love of learning; develops their individual gifts; and prepares them to make meaningful contributions to the world.
Responsibility - Respect - Empathy
• Children learn best in a safe environment: physically, emotionally, and intellectually.
• Respect is the cornerstone of such an environment: respect among students, between students and teachers, and among all members of our community including parents and staff.
• Children are unique individuals, each with their own abilities, interests, and needs.
• With encouragement and support, children develop responsibility for their choices and actions.
• Curiosity is natural and joy of learning is intrinsic in all children.
• Critical thinking skills and mastery of underlying concepts are the primary objectives of school.
• Children learn best in small groups with extensive opportunities for individual attention and interaction with others. Academic achievement is realized in a non-graded, noncompetitive setting where children are intrinsically motivated to learn.
• Committed, well-qualified teachers are fundamental to the success of our school.
• Support for families and continuity for children that builds upon the rich learning environment and social setting of the school day are critical elements of an effective extended day program.
Bixby School was founded in 1970 as a preschool by the school's founders Pat and Bart. The school quickly grew to become a preschool and K-5 program and has been in its current location of three acres in the South Boulder since 1978. Bixby School is unique in its strong commitment to progressive education, offering a curriculum that supports and encourages children's lively intellects
within an environment that is flexible enough to respond to each child as an individual. For almost 50 years, Bixby school has been on the forefront of innovative practice through rich academics and supporting growth of the whole child.
"This school is a gem. Stellar faculty, wonderful parents and the children thrive. -Parent
" Bixby is more than a school-it is a community with heart."-Parent
"After 20 years of traveling to schools nationally and internationallyas education researcher, one of the best progressive Preschool and elementary programs is right here in Boulder.-Administrator